Seeing the weather getting better and dreaming of getting in shape, I suggested a Sunday afternoon walk to my parents. Around this time every year we go for ONE walk. Then the guilt of being out-of-shape subsides and I let the laziness win. I don’t know that it’s going to be any different this summer. I should really make it so. But all I can manage right now is “Let’s hope”.
They accepted the idea right away. Since we’re not going on walks all the time and might not be going again for another twelve months, I thought I’d add a little bit to my Mom’s pic-nic. My cooking is a bit weak, my baking is way stronger. Playing on my strengths, I searched “vegetable and bacon muffins” on Google. This recipe on 750g looked reasonable.
Friday night, I left the office with my grocery list and went shopping. Saturday morning, I got all the ingredients out and started. On the table there were:
- an onion
- a zucchini
- diced bacon (the recipe said 100gr but I had 163gr and put everything in)
- 2 eggs
- flour 120gr
- milk 1dl
- margarine 80gr
- baking powder
- pepper (I forgot to put it in, it was fine)
So, I had a plan and carried it out. Here’s how that went:
- First, I mixed the eggs and the margarine. Then added the flour and the baking powder. This is the basic part of the recipe that can be reused with other vegetables. The recipe suggested to add the milk now but it might be better to add it after the hot stuff.
- The diced zucchini, diced bacon and chopped onion were thrown in a hot pan with a little olive oil. It remained there until the bacon had taken a nice colour.
- The meat and vegetables were added to the dough. I put in the milk at this moment to prevent the mix from cooking further and stirred until it all became homogeneous.
- Then, the mix was transferred to the oiled up muffin pan with great patience and care.
- After a 15 minutes stay in the 210 degrees Celsius oven, they came out great.
Our walk took us around the Rhone river from la Jonction to the Butin Bridge and then to Lignon. Geneva is lovely, the river offers tremendous sights. It was nice to complement them with a great pic-nic. These muffins delighted my parents who asked me for the recipe on the spot.